Thursday, June 28, 2012

On research--

Overall, this week has been a success. Research is going well with only a few minor setbacks; I am now a member of Always, a local gym; and I've gotten to see some of the big Buenos Aires sights too! I love love looove the city, and time is flying by. I have a lot to write about, so I'll make multiple posts and try to keep focus during each one.

Early this week, I met with two directors at a nearby ANSES office, the government organization that deals with social programs and government transfers from asignacion por embarazo (a grant for low-income women that are pregnant) to asignacion por hijo (AUH is the grant I'm studying) to social security payments. When I asked if it would be possible to talk to some of the recipients, the directors laughed in a why-are-you-even-asking kind of a way and said, "go outside [to the waiting room], that's what they're all here for!"

People were surprisingly open about their situation. People in the US often seem to have a sense of pride that keeps them from participating in programs they would be eligible for, like food stamps. While there are a lot of people who do benefit from these kinds of programs, it's often talked about as being a shameful thing, people are accused of being lazy, they're re-victimized by taking part in the system that very well may be keeping them alive.

But here, I noticed something was different from the minute I walked into the ANSES lobby. Some came in by themselves, others carrying a baby, some with a friend or two, but the entire lobby was full of people chatting with other ANSES visitors, all just waiting for their number to be called. I asked everyone I talked to about this, and they all seemed confused as to why someone would feel embarrassed or ashamed about being there or receiving help from the government. Five for five said that they had the RIGHT to be there, the RIGHT to participate in government programs, the RIGHT to receive assistance. It was a surprising, and very different perspective than I was anticipating.

I've also found that a lot of the recipients of the grant are single women. Several have indicated that they were able to leave their husband because of the extra assistance the grant provides. While it's not much, it was enough for some to help them leave a violent situation and make a better life for themselves and their children. This was far from what I was expecting to learn, and obviously isn't the case for all recipients, but it's made me change the frame of thought.

I've also learned about a big 2009-2011 campaign that the government did here to end domestic violence and to create awareness of centers where women could find help, etc. There are a lot of murals painted on the streets here, posters hanging in windows, ads on TV, etc. that have information about hotlines women can call, that explain that women have a right to live without violence, etc. This is something that might explain the apparent increase in domestic violence claims since AUH was implemented...meaning, awareness and reporting mechanisms have increased, while perhaps actual incidence has not.

Still so many more people to talk to and so much more to learn. I have had such good luck getting interviews with people though that I feel like only a week in, my project is starting to really shape up. Much more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment