Thursday, June 21, 2012

Live from Buenos Aires :)

Found this little gem in our neighborhood..
I arrived at the airport, ready to go, only to have my flight out of Des Moines delayed two hours and then cancelled. Womp. It wasn't a huge disaster, the only complication was that Mandie did get to BA, but I had the money to pay for our apartment, which we were supposed to check into and pay for when my flight arrived...

Day two, try again. All three (yuck) flights went well this time, and I was able to reschedule our apartment check-in. On the way down, there were two strange announcements on my international flight that I hadn't heard before; one, "do not take extended bathroom trips on this flight" (=don't poop on the plane?), and two, "do not sleep in the aisles of the cabin" (i hope someone wouldn't actually do this anyway..?)

Once I landed in Buenos Aires, it was a quick 30 minute bus ride into the city and another 20 minute cab ride from the downtown drop off to the apartment. Mandie had found a hostel within walking distance of the apartment, so she was able to meet me for check-in, and everything went smoothly. It's a cute little studio in Palermo Viejo.


View from our apartment in Palermo Viejo.
Pretty building down the street.
The only issue was that apparently a couple of years ago, Argentina switched from the outlet type that every single website in the world claims Argentina uses to the type of outlet that is used in Australia and China! I hadn't brought my full adaptor set, and it turned out to be a holiday here, so most stores were closed. We did find a Jumbo that was open (think Ikea/Super WalMart/everything you could ever imagine except for outlet adaptors type of store) to stock up on groceries and a few essentials but had to wait till today to find adaptors at a fereteria (hardware store). Success! Now onto some serious appointment-setting. More soon!
Apparently dog-walking is a popular profession here. So very jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment